Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Commitment & Crisis

In Understanding Youth, I felt like the “Commitment & Crisis” chart was helpful into identifying patterns of adolescence.  I looked at my own adolescence from reading a 1996-1997 journal about myself.  I thought this was just something interesting to look back on and reminisce about high school, but to my surprise, I began to think about what kind of an adolescent I was and my ‘identity status.”  I felt that the stages were a healthy part of growing and becoming an adult. 

 

I think the career choices I see are the most popular when I ask students in advisory, or when I ask students outside the classroom.  I feel the limited understanding and knowledge of these things are only careers they see in the media or in front of them. 

I began to think about the student I am interviewing and trying to pinpoint the current state of identity.  Then I started to think about his environment (social and urban) and whether he is in between stages. I found this interesting because I am interviewing him before the high school fair where he has simply made decisions based on his experiences with family members.   I am sure that this will change when he gets more facts/knowledge about high school opportunities and career paths.  I am sure we can say he is in the diffuse identity category at this time.   I wonder if the student I interviewed will in fact become a lawyer or someone who joins the National Guard.  I feel the two are very different, and he is only exploring these ideas because it is all he knows in his immediate life (jobs his uncle and dad are currently doing).

On a side note, I feel like I wanted to completely change the order of the chart only because it went in the completely wrong direction as I understood it.  I felt like it should have started in the first quadrant, then to the left to go in the order of the quadrant system.   

1 comment:

  1. Ken,
    There were a lot of personal connections for me in these two chapters as well. I also couldn't help thinking of my students when I was going through the categories, but I think that can be a double edged sword, in one way, thinking of a particular student helps us connect with the material, but it could also cloud our perspective on that student, as these categories are somewhat fluid. I think it's best to understand the concepts in all of this, and make decisions based on each situation, rather than subscribe to the "Vygotsky theory" or "Piaget's stage."

    Also, I am with you on the graph, I found it difficult to follow, maybe others made better sense of it.

    ReplyDelete